Artichoke-Parmesan Dip with Black Pepper Pita Chips
Everyone loves cheese dip, but at times it can make you feel heavy or lethargic. The secret is to use alternative ingredients to more traditional recipes to lighten the caloric load and raise its nutritional value! This recipe is light and delicious; you and your friends will love it! Feel free to substitute similar ingredients if you are missing one. Not only is this recipe delicious, but it has great nutritional value as well. Artichoke hearts are a wonderful source of fiber, high in antioxidants, and help with indigestion. Impress yourself and your friends by making this tasty dish today!
½ (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained
1/3 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
¼ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
1 ½ teaspoons olive oil
1 large garlic clove, minced
Finely grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
½ teaspoon black pepper
Several drops chipotle pepper sauce or to taste
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
2 (6 1/2 – inch) whole wheat pita breads
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine artichoke hearts, chickpeas, Parmesan, oil, garlic, lemon zest and juice, ¼ teaspoon of black pepper, and the pepper sauce in food processor; pulse until smooth. Add parsley and pulse to combine. Transfer dip to serving bowl.
- Split each pita in half to make 2 rounds. Place halves, rough side up, on work surface. Lightly spray with olive oil nonstick spray and sprinkle with remaining ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Cut each round into 8 wedges and arrange on rimmed baking sheet in single layer. Bake until lightly browned and crisp, for about 8 minutes.
- Transfer pita crisps to serving plate or basket and serve alongside dip. Dip can be refrigerated in airtight container up to 2 days. Pita crisps can be stored in airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.
- Or, you could always pick the easy route and buy pre-cooked pita chips.